CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Her children arise and call her blessed...

Today we took time to honor a woman who I love dearly, a woman I like to think of as the kind matriarch of the family and her name is Gay. I know I was blessed to have a mother who loved and raised me but as a man observing the world around me I feel like I hit the lottery when I realize I have been blessed with a second woman in my life who calls me son and I get the privilege of calling her mother. In 1993 I was a punk teenager dating the girl of my dreams and despite the fact we were only dating and not yet married I was welcomed into my future wife's family and it didn't take long for me to despise the term in-law, I was proud to call them my family and I didn't require any added legal terms to describe them as such.


From the moment I began dating Rebecca her mother Gay was someone I admired and if my wife turned out to be half the woman she was I was going to be a very lucky man. Over the past 24 years I can honestly say she fits the descriptions I have read in Proverbs 31.

     A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Today sat around the table as a family much like we do every week but today was special, today was about her as we celebrated her birthday. It may have been difficult for her to sit back, relax and be the center of attention but I enjoy her allowing us to pamper her like she does for us on our birthdays.




Mom, you are an encouragement and role model to me. I have observed you care and provide for those less fortunate, stood by your friends through good times and bad, you are the epitome of a model wife, a loving caring mother, a helpful daughter and an amazing grandmother. You are humble and often try to blend into the background while helping others but trust me when I say your kindness always stand out to everyone who is lucky enough to be in your presence. I am lucky to have you in my life and the lives of my family. I am proud to call you mom, and blessed to be part of your family.

I hope you know how special you are to us not just on your birthday but every day of the year. I love you and while the past year has had moments of sorrow in the passing of loved ones, stress of preparing to move and constant unknowns I hope you can look back on the past 365 days and reflect on the good moments and the fact that you have brought joy to me and many, many others. I pray that your next year of life is full of blessings and lots of relaxation. Happy Birthday and although I may not say it out loud nearly enough I love you and am thankful to be your son and consider it a privilege to call you Mom. My only request is that before your next birthday we take the time to get a picture with the two of us in it for once! 




0 comments: