CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 18, 2009

In need of a new alarm clock.

Well as stated in a past post if our rooster kept up his antics that we would have 1 rooster too many. Well, due to the fact that Alex was no longer able to interact with the chickens and Ariel was taking chances getting the eggs after sundown - Thursday night we had a nice fresh chicken dinner! Ariel was sad that I slaughtered her rooster (aka - Bobby - kids don't understand the "don't name your food" rule until it's too late) so I decided to stop in to Tractor Supply Company during my work travels and was surprised to learn that they were getting several more shipments of day old chicks! When I got home I discussed my plans with Rebecca and decided to pick up a rooster if they still had sex-link chicks. Well due to people making bad decisions T.S.C. began a minimum purchase of 6 chicks. After discussing this with Rebecca we decided that the more egg producers the better - we have room for them so why not! Ariel and I dropped Alex off at school and went to pick out 6 more chicks and we would try to pick out a replacement rooster for our flock. When we arrived they had just finished unpacking the mornings shipment which included assorted straight-run bantams. Being the sucker that I am for cute chicks I decided to take a chance and picked up 3 bantams along with the 1 chick we believe is a rooster and 2 pullets. It is fun trying to figure out what breed the bantams are - I think we figured out what the 2 dark ones are - the white one is a little harder although we think it is one of 3 breeds. My guess is here. Once they mature I will be sure to post an update. It is amazing how much the chicks we got last week have grown - it seems like just yesterday they still had their egg tooth and before you know it they will be increasing our egg sales!




1 comments:

Charlie's Mom said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, how cute!!!! Even tho Roger and I have only received one dozen of eggs, we would be interested in buying a dozen a week! So keep that in mind. Sounds to me like your business is really growing now.
Love,
Mom