CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Let's get ready to Scramble!

Everyone has been patient with me due to my crazy schedule and now I am patiently waiting for some yummy eggs! I finally got around to making my new nesting boxes and upon completion I actually installed them into the coop.

My original design was 9 14"x14" cubes but after some thought I decided on a simpler set-up that will be easy to clean and access for our daily bounty of eggs.

We have a couple of weeks before I am actually expecting any eggs which is a good thing as we still have several roosters. Roosters who are starting to act like I did as a teenage boy - after eating and drinking they are consumed with girls and fighting!

My next chicken related post will be the meal we make after I finish slaughtering the roosters (some time during the next week). So feel free to post any suggested chicken recipes under the comments section!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am partial to a nice stuffed chicken roasted in the oven and homemade cranberry sauce on the side.......as you start receiving your eggs, every once in awhile I would like to buy two dozen.

Robb said...

Our chickens started laying consistently to the point where we got 2 eggs per day, and then this past weekend all 3 chickens disappeared into the mouths of the local fox population.

I saw a fox heading toward the coop Saturday and grabbed my .22, I got out there and found some feathers but no fox. Then he came running out of the creek bed with one of my chickens in his mouth. I took two shots but he got away. Half hour later another fox was in the yard, and our dog chased him away.

Sunday morning we had one chicken left, and she never came home Sunday night.

Next year I'm going to put some netting over their run so they can't fly in and out whenever they feel like it.