CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Spoiled food

No, I'm not talking about food that is unfit to eat - I'm talking about spoiled chickens - (also know by their names - Chip and Dale.) They are our Dark Cornish Bantams, Chip is the girl and Dale is the boy.

I am waiting for my pre-fab chicken coop to arrive so I can get our spoiled bantams out of the house. Here is a picture of the coop I am getting - It is sold online for almost $500 but thanks to a fellow BYC member I am not paying anywhere even close to that!

Chip and Dale have spent so much time around us they have become "pets" and spend their nights in a brooder under the kitchen table and during the day they have the run of our deck. They are very heavy footed and sound like mini T-Rex dinosaurs running to and fro. We have had a lot of rain here in the North East the past month so on several occasions the birds get a good towel drying and lots of snuggling before they get tucked in for the night.

I am also ready for them to get moved off the deck as they have discovered my patio garden and like the rest of us really enjoy the taste of jalapenos much to my dismay! Here they are hanging out with the family during one of our brief sunny moments recently.



Here are some pictures of our other chickens - I can't wait until they start earning their keep and laying some eggs - our mature chickens have been going through their molt which has really slowed down our egg production. So far everyone has been getting along while free ranging around the property and hopefully there are enough girls that the 2 roosters will get along.



Here are our favorite chickens - Our Silkie rooster "Sokka" and our Polish hens "Shiloh" on right and "Edwina" on left.


Alex and I also took the time to bury the ashes of our cat "Britney" who died during the late winter months. As everyone knows I am not a cat person but this was the first animal I ever bought for Rebecca and she was a great pet over the years. Alex really loved her and after we buried her ashes he took the time to make a simple memorial for her and my son's kindness really touched my heart.

1 comments:

Charlie's Mom said...

Your two children are kind hearted and very special to Roger and me. Alex shows his love openly. Ariel is on the reserved side. I think they both show their upbringing which reflexs on their Mom and Dad. I thank God for the wonderful son I have in you, Charlie.

Love,
Mom