CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 19, 2010

Alex's Racing Career

It's that time of year again - Pinewood Derby Racing! Alex came home several weeks ago with the flier that announced the date for the Awanna Races. I made sure the next week he had the money to purchase a couple of the pinewood derby kits that they provide (one for race day and a couple to use as rainy day projects we can do together as a family.) I sat down with Alex the next night and we decided on the basic design he wanted for his finished car and then we shelved the kit and thanks to my work schedule being crazy I totally forgot about it! Thursday afternoon Alex asked me if we were going to work on his car and I ensured him that we would work on it Sunday afternoon. It was at this point that he informed me that the race was tomorrow (Friday) night and that Sunday would be to late! Thankfully with some 11th hour dedication we were able to finish most of the car Thursday night and with a final layer of clear coat Friday morning we were guaranteed a starting position Friday night!

We arrived and registered Alex's car which he named the "Mach 18" and weighed in at 3.1 ounces. Alex was up against some serious competition but was all smiles as he realized that they were all friends. He ran a total of 4 race heats and finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd (there are 4 cars that run each heat.) Despite his great runs they have moved into the 21st century and have begun to track the times/speeds of the cars which determines who moves into the finals now rather than the average of each cars heat race results so his race career ended early which actually worked out well as I had to go to work.

We all had a great night despite the disappointment of not being one of the top 3 finishers. On the ride home we talked about the different cars everyone had built and the excitement of finishing each of his heat races without a single crash, we also reflected on how well his car ran despite the limited time we invested in its construction. I think what stood out in my mind from the evening was the fact that despite wanting to win all of the kids were cheering for each other and the good sportsmanship that was showed all evening between all the competitors.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

we did a bit of 11th hour construction this year too. only noah's didn't show any of the creativity that Alex's has. what a unique design! at least they have fun w/ it, right?

Unknown said...

I remember my 11th hour work when I was a kid. My Dad never had the time or desire to get involved with our pursuits. But that year He did help me by coming up with the design & cutting it out. We ended up varnishing it & I won best looking car.
He also put some kind of auto lubricant on the wheels & set the weights in just the right spot & I literally won everything at the competition!
One of my best memories with my Dad. He was as proud as I was.
I also found out that if you google 'fast pinewood derby cars'- you can get all kinds of tips from design to legal lubricants, to weight placement. Obviously some guys have way too much time on their hands. It might help you two out for next year.
Thanks for bringing back some fond memories.