CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 30, 2010

Earth, Wind and FIRE!!!!!!

No, this post is not about music - it's literally about Fire! It has been very, very windy and has finally stopped raining the past few days here in the North Woods. Today I was working from my home office and due to the wind we had a brief power outage which caused me to lose my Internet connection for a short period of time. I decided to make myself something to eat for lunch and while standing in the kitchen I noticed something orange in my neighbors property. It took a moment for my mind to process what I was seeing - Fire! My first thought was is my neighbor crazy burning on a day like today but I quickly realized that this was not the case. I called 911 and got the fire trucks rolling and then Rebecca and I started pulling hose to knock down what we could. When I first saw the flames it was a small area burning and within a few moments the woods were ablaze. The local fire department showed up quickly and started positioning their tankers along my neighbors driveway and the other neighbors back yard and after about 2 hours all the flames and smoke had been eliminated. One fire man stayed on site for about another hour to ensure there were no hidden hot spots. When all was said and done it was close to an acre of woods that burned and for the most part there are only a few trees that were a total loss, most of them were evergreens that once the flames ignited the sap there was no getting near them! We were all so involved with helping fight the flames that we didn't take any pictures until it was all over and Alex asked if we could take pictures of the fire trucks before they were all gone. I am very thankful that we were home otherwise it would have been much worse especially once we realized all of our neighbors were unaware of the situation.


1 comments:

Harvest Moon Farm said...

Well, that's scary! Good thing you were there!

I'm convinced our neighbors are going to burn our entire neighborhood down one of these days. It especially makes me nervous to see them burning on windy days, or during realy dry weather. I woudln't have thought, with all the rain we had lately, that it was possible for a fire to get rolling, but reading this was just plain scary! Do they know what caused it?