CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sneak attack turns into vacation venison

So yesterday was opening day of private land deer season and I decided to let Ariel have the day off from school and spend it with me in the woods. Ariel was up and dressed at 4:00am much to my surprise. She reminded me of my childhood when I went into her room to wake her up she was sitting in the dark, fully dressed with a big smile waiting to surprise me! After stopping for a drink and breakfast snack we were off to the farm. We were in the woods before the sun came up and were settled into our back to back stands. I had informed Ariel to watch the thicket behind me as the deer like to sneak past and have surprised me on more than one occasion. Legal shooting time began at 6:14am and it was 27*F. At 6:20am I heard Ariel whisper in a shaky voice "There it is!" I asked her, "there what is?" She then informed me "it" was a deer and with her hand shaking in excitement pointed towards our future dinner. I was able to place the cross hairs on it's vitals and in the blink of an eye it was all over. My shot placement was perfect and with a double lung shot the deer went less than 2o yards. I can't wait till next year when Ariel will have her hunting license and hopefully I will get to watch her shoot her own deer!


2 comments:

lr said...

Woot! Not bad for a first day, or should I say first hour.

Unknown said...

Your grass sure looks green for November.
We've taken 9 deer so far this season. We'll probably get a couple more before the season ends on January 15th. Georgia has a long season beginning on Sept. 12 for bow season. You can take 10 does & 2 bucks. Not bad. Our freezer is filling up & we're helping out some of our single moms in the church with their food bill. It's a blessng all the way around.
By the way, how much do you think your buck weighed?