CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Backyard scratchin...

The girls went on their first field trip into the great outdoors today. I am looking forward to moving them into their permanent home in the backyard coop where cleanup will be easier and less frequency required. We started out with 17 chicks and only lost 1 during the first week, the other 16 have grown steadily.

I must admit the kids have been really good about paying attention to the chicks - Ariel really likes the White Crested Polish chicks while Alex has a strong preference for the Jersey Giants (aka - His Girls!) I like them all (especially with corn, stuffing, and of course gravy) but I think the Silver Laced Wyandottes are my favorite and seem to like human interaction the most. Any time they are let out they run right to you and enjoy being handled.

Gabriel and Navarre were really nervous about the chicks not being in their cage and both did a great job of herding any of the chicks that wandered too far away from the main group.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this has become a good thing for the whole family. I can't wait to see them and hold them.
Mom