CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 22, 2012

The house without a boy.

The week for summer camp has arrived again. I have fond memories of going away with the church youth group every year for summer and winter camp. As an adult though this week is bitter sweet. Rebecca and I always enjoy the savings on the grocery bill when Alex is at camp and of course spending time together without the kids but we both miss the laughter, the hugs and of course the constant sound of Alex talking. As always he was full of nervous conversation during the ride up north and especially bummed out that his cousin Noah wouldn't be with him this year but once we arrived you could tell he was excited for his week of fun and fellowship. This is his 5th year attending Pine Brook Camp and every year he comes home with great memories and the satisfaction of making new friends.  This year he promised he would write home and let us know how he is doing which will be a nice if it actually happens.

We arrived early this year and he was one of the first campers on site. This year he moved up to the Oak cabins which are much roomier with lots of windows and appear to be newer inside although they are still very rustic. The nice thing with arriving early was he got to spend some one on one time getting to know his two cabin counselors. He was excited to see some familiar faces of kids he knows and was awaiting the arrival of his friend William. I will truly miss Alex and his smile this week but at the same time I am happy he enjoys going away to camp every year and as always he me makes me proud to call him my own. At least Ariel will still be around most of the week so I will still have one kid to entertain with my antics. 

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'll miss him too, but I'm loving the pictures they are posting! It will be fun to look in on him this week. :) ~Becky

Charlie's Mom said...

I remember your camp days too and missing you and your constant talking, too. Alex not only looks like you but also has a lot of your characteristics also. I went through the "empty nest" feelings after you and Rebecca got married in a sad way but I gave all 3 of you "wings" to go your way and wanted all of you to "fly" and have no regrets.
Love,
Mom