CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 3, 2012

A day on the Island

Growing up I spent countless summer weekends camping at Fort Getty Campground on Jamestown Island, RI. The days were spent fishing, snorkeling, exploring the salt marsh, swimming, hiking and exploring the old fort. While the fort openings have been back filled due to liability concerns, all the other activities are still alive and well. Just as I loved spending time here my wife and kids have also grown to enjoy my childhood hideaway. While I had no intentions of camping this week for $20 you can obtain a daily parking pass and enjoy everything the camp ground has to offer including real bathrooms and hot showers! So today we awoke with the sun packed the cooler and headed for the ocean. Of course my first order of business was to set up a seat on the pier and catch some fish. When I was younger the fish seemed endless but over the years their numbers faded to what felt like only an occasional nibble. It is with great joy that I report the fish have returned and are more than willing to keep a boy occupied for quite some time! This morning I caught several different species of fish and saw even more at the end of my line despite failing to land them or take a photograph of them. After a day of fishing I made a hot dinner with my table top grill then enjoyed swimming and then explored the inlet to the marsh with Alex as the tide was making its way back in. I am so glad that my family enjoys the ocean and never complain while we are at the shore as they are either exploring, swimming or just relaxing in the warm salty breeze. It's good to be me!

 One of approximately 100 Skip Jacks (baby blue fish) that I caught today.
 A big old skate that had me excited thinking I was eating flounder tonight
Ya, I'm happy catching skates - It's much better than working! 
 A baby Black Sea Bass
 Alex waiting patiently for his Hamburger to finish cooking
 Rebecca keeping everything tidy for us messy kids
 My beautiful daughter being embarrassed by Daddy
 The view of the Jamestown bridge 
 Our swimming hole
 Enjoying his san pellegrino limonata!
 One of the islands historic windmills
 The view from the new bridge
Still smiling because vacation isn't over quite yet! 

2 comments:

lr said...

Jamestown bridge...shudder...cold sweat...

Charlie's Mom said...

That looked like a fun day. I hope this was the best vacation time ever!!! Enjoy your children while they "want" to be with Mom and Dad. I know you will.

Love,
Charlie's Mom