CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 29, 2008

I LOVE CHICKS!!

No that's not what I meant! I'm talking about chickens. We have been planning on starting our own "little farm" for some time now but due to work and my regular business trips the past few years it has been put on hold more than once.
This year we held off on getting chicks because of a yearly science project at the kids school where they "attempt" to hatch fertilized eggs. I say attempt because the past 3 times the project has failed.

Well that is all about to change. This week I finally gave Becky the OK to order up our own little flock.

I realize it is going to take a few months but I can already taste the fresh, creamy, eggs as well as the natural hormone free baked chicken!


It was difficult to decide which variety of birds we wanted. There are about 15 different varieties that I would like to own but seeing that I don't own a full working farm I had to narrow down my selections. We finally decided on 3 breeds to start our flock. I have included a picture of each below.


The White Silkies are more for "pet status" although they can be good egg layers despite their small size. These are the birds that made me fall in love with chickens. Having worked on a chicken farm with my last job I would never have guessed one day I would even consider owning a chicken never mind start my own little flock!



These are Black Jersey Giants. They are black with a beautiful green sheen in the light. As their name implies they get rather large 10-13lbs! Gabriel best behave himself around these big girls - it would give a whole new meaning to getting your butt kicked by a chick!



These are Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are very personable birds and according to most owners of this breed, hours of entertainment are provided by this breeds antics.
They are a hearty, heavy bodied, productive (egg laying) bird with beautiful coloring/markings.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

how fun! and what a learning experience for all these homeschooled kids we have!

Anonymous said...

I love the white silkies. I do think that chicken would become a pet, it is so beautiful. Ahhhhhhhhh, my son the chicken farmer. While reading your description of the creamy eggs and natural baked chicken, I must say, you have a way with words, Son.
Love, Your Mom