CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 22, 2008

One of the chosen!



All morning I kept thinking of childhood and the words of Doug Llewellen: "Don't take the law into your own hands, You take them to court!"

You guessed it I received my jury duty notice recently. Although I was disappointed that I would miss a company sponsored dinner tonight in Boston I was looking forward to a morning of relaxation at the local court house. To be honest I seriously doubted they would want me for service after reading my completed juror survey, Boy was I wrong.

I arrived at the court house a little early and realized I left the book Rebecca requested I read sitting on my nightstand, I decided I would amuse myself with the always enjoyable sport of people watching. As I stated before I was expecting a morning of relaxation, once again I was seriously mistaken.

For some reason the court personnel assumed we needed exercise and rather than using the elevator (which was in working order) they introduced us to the staircase that we would use to go back and forth (or should I say "up and down") from the 1st floor to the 3rd!

Upon my arrival at the 3rd floor I was delighted to find lots of fresh hot coffee and unlike everything else in the break room it was FREE! As a group we got to watch several videos about the court system and what to expect and we were given a prep talk from one of the local judges. Upon completion of these tasks I found out that there was another staircase with which I would surrender my life long acquired "baby fat" to!

We arrived in the court room and met the judge, attorneys, and were all sworn in as potential jurors. Upon completion of this I marched my way up the stairs to the 3rd floor again.

Finally, time to relax. Coffee, a large screen television set with a VCR and a bunch of movies. All morning with my last name starting with a "W" I was last so I settled in and began making small talk with the people around me.

Much to my surprise I was about the 15th person (out of approx 40-45 people) called in for my juror interview. After a short interview I was sent back to the break room and called in by the clerk who informed me I was chosen to sit on the jury.

I must admit I'm surprised I was chosen and am looking forward to completing my civil duty. As for now I am not allowed to discuss anything else about it but once all is said and done I will be sure to share my thoughts on the process.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

well...congratulations...i guess. hope you get a good case.

Anonymous said...

Well, Son, there is no better person than you to be picked for jury duty. I know that you will be fair, honest and think about any situation before making a decision on whether or not the person is guilty. Congrats to the system for picking the best person to perform his civil duty!!
Your Mom