CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

DETOURED BUT INSPIRED

After my last post I have been paying attention to the little things I would normally ignore. Today on my way home from working in Rhode Island I found myself getting detoured due to a road closure caused by an accident. On my way back to the connecting main route I noticed a large snapping turtle attempting to cross the road so I stopped and dragged it across the road so that it would make it to the large swamp without becoming a messy bump in the road.



While I was working we had some fairly intense storms in the state and as I was making my last leg of the trip home I was once again faced with a closed road. This time it was due to a downed electrical pole and wires across the road. As I began to turn around to attempt a different route home I passed the entrance to the state forest that I spend much of the fall and winter months exploring during hunting season and I immediately realized I had never experienced the area in its full foliage state.



I decided to pull in and after putting on some bug repellent I went a-wandering. Almost immediately I found several indigenous plants I never realized were there. As I wandered through the woods I was inspired by my recent discovery of the CT Botanical Society and their web site and decided to take some pictures with my cellphone of several of the plants I discovered while on my walk.



I was surprised to find the road reopened as I emerged from the woods and rushed home to plant some of the flowers I found (I did my best to be responsible and only take home plants that I found to be in abundance) in the flowerbed surrounding my pond garden.



As I was transplanting my treasures I began to reflect on the memories I have of days spent at work with my father (he was a truck driver) and stopping to dig up lilies and other ornamental flowers/bulbs that squirrels had dug up and replanted in obscure locations on the side of the road for my mothers flower gardens.



I began planning in my mind the next raised flower garden for the yard. I have made a mental note of areas I saw plants on the side of back country roads recently that can be claimed as my own. I will be sure to bring the kids along to dig them up with the anticipation that they will enjoy memories of time spent together when they are older; just as I have done today.

Here are some pictures I took today in the woods and around the yard.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures, Son. I remember when I had the whole front yard of daylillies and every morning you would go outside and look to see if anything new was in bloom, then you would run in the house to tell me to go outside and see the new flower. It is things like that a Mom never forgets. You were such a joy to me!
Mom