CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Chip and Dale's Backyard Adventure


A couple of weeks ago I told you about the new chicks we purchased in this post. Well a lot has changed since April 18th - The 6 red sex links and 3 golden comets are all in the downstairs brooder where they have more room to stretch their wings, the 2 dark colored bantam chicks are still in the upstairs brooder - just because I enjoy interacting with them and they are so much smaller than the standard breed chicks. Unfortunately the tiny white bantam chick we had died.

The kids had named the white one "Speed" because when he wasn't sleeping he would run around like Forrest Gump while plowing his way through all the other chicks! The 2 other bantams are now named "Chip & Dale" due to their colors.


Last night when I got home from work I decided to take them outside for the first time. At first they were a little wigged out from the feeling of the grass but eventually calmed down. Then Navarre came over to guard over them and that's when they started climbing on his back and hopping back and forth between the two of us. I wish Navarre would keep his ears up when a camera is around - it seems like his ears are always up and at attention until he knows that a picture is being taken and then down they go!


I am always amazed at how gentle Navarre is with the baby chicks and how big of a desire he has to guard over the mature chickens when they are out of the coop - especially from squirrels! (that's a video I need to post!)

5 comments:

Charlie's Mom said...

They are so cute, Charlie. That has become quite a hobby. Keep up the good work!!

Mom

Jenn said...

What great pics! Nice looking dog. Is he really that big or is it the angle of the pic? He looks huge!

Tell Becky I hope she had a wonderful Mother's Day! I'm sure you and the kids spoiled her. :)

Bob and Alex treated me to surprises all weekend. It was great!

Unknown said...

What is the significance of the dog's name? I recall that name in one of my all time favorite movies, "Ladyhawke".

Chuck said...

Paul, you are correct - his full name is Capt. Etienne Navarre. Ladyhawke is one of our favorite movies - you can't help but love Matthew B's character!

Unknown said...

FANTASTIC! I don't know too many folks who love that movie but I sure do. That is a great name for a tough dog. I saw that movie at the old dollar theatre in Vernon when I was a kid. I now have it on DVD. My favorite line was when Matthew B. was trying to cut firewood with His sword & he said, "...This sword has never known defeat...untill now" Too funny.