CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Lasting memories

Today was a special day for me and hopefully the kids as well. I spent the morning hunting with Ariel on our friends family farm. After lunch I went home and took Alex out hunting on our neighbors property. I know there are people out there that might find the thought of a child hunting morbid but I truly believe that the relationship formed with a child while sitting in the woods hunting is a unique one. For starters there are no distractions it is one-on-one. You would be amazed at the quiet conversations that take place. I can remember hunting with my dad as a child and the time we spent together formed lasting memories that nobody can ever take away, memories that I am grateful for as my father is no longer here. Sitting in the woods with my children made me thankful that I have a special relationship with them and that they are interested in my hobbies. My job is to be a good parent first and the product of that is we are friends also. It was nice to spend equal time alone with each child and I was very proud of each of them as it was quite cold out today and they both sat very still and whispered during our conversations. Even though we didn't see any deer we were able to observe plenty of other wildlife which is always enjoyable and educational. I am Thankful for the love of nature my parents instilled in me and the ability I have to pass this love of the outdoors onto my children.

3 comments:

Sensei Mitch said...

Very cool indeed.

I still remember all my hunting trips with my Father. We walked a lot because we were after game birds. But there is something intense and almost magical in those memories. Even the trips when we didn't catch anything are find memories to this day.

Yes our biggest and hardest job is to be good parents. For our children truly reap what we sow.

HomeGrownLife said...

So sweet... I think that your kids will remember those times in the woods forever. Good for you for taking that time to be with them!!!

Anonymous said...

yES, YOU HAVE SOME VERY GOOD MEMORIES. I ALSO HAVE SOME VERY GOOD MEMORIES OF ALL THE TIMES AS YOUR MOTHER WE WENT TO ROCKY NECK, SHADY LAKE, AND RHODE ISLAND OCEAN. I AM SO HAPPY, CHARLIE THAT OUR SUMMERS WERE SPENT TOGETHER FOR MANY YEARS. I HAVE A PICTURE ALBUM TO LOOK AT WHEN I BECOME LONELY FOR MY SON.
MOM